Thursday, May 1, 2014

Giving Up a Birthday Present

Today our oldest son Cambel turned 9. He didn't exactly volunteer to Give Up one of his birthday gifts (I fully admit it was my idea), but he was willing to allow one of his birthday presents to be a donation to GBA.

I sat him down tonight after his birthday celebrating was over and he had opened his gifts, to ask him about his Giving Up. I assumed I would have something profound to write about how generous a 9 year old can be. Turns out I got some pretty short, honest, and practical answers. But maybe that isn't all bad. It got me thinking about how Giving Up doesn't always feel warm and fuzzy. Sometimes it may hurt a little and that is okay. And sometimes it may just be something you decide to do whether you feel like it or not. The point is that Giving Up can be done regardless of how you feel--and in the end, you may be surprised to find that it didn't hurt as much as you thought or that you didn't hardly even miss what you Gave Up.

Cambel's synopsis of Giving Up a birthday gift?

"I hardly even knew it. I had a good birthday even without one of my presents."

Not exactly a charismatic plea to get you to join our Giving Up To Give community, but maybe it is just the encouragement you need to jump on in and Give Up with us--who knows, you may not even hardly miss whatever is you go without.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment